Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crispino Pizza


The Crispino Pizza is one of my favorites. It has everything I love on it and is a fun pizza to make because you can make little changes to personalize to suit your own taste and there are dozens of ways to change this pizza up. I have seen it made with eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and even with a variety of cheeses, the recipe I'm giving you here is my favorite version of the Crispino.

I was introduced to this pizza by my a friend who told me about this pizzeria that makes a Crispino. It was a bit of a hike from where I lived but my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) decided to make the trip and try it out. It was worth every minute of the trip. It was a square pizza with a little sauce, layered with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, strips of roasted red peppers and some fresh basil on top. It was heavenly and now I am sharing it with all of you in the hopes that you love it as much as I do.

Also don't forget this is giveaway day number two! Same rules apply; leave a comment here telling me your favorite pizza, like Per L'Amore Di Cibo on Facebook or subscribe via email. Do one or and all three!


Crispino Pizza
Yield: 1 pizza pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes     I     Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

  • Pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
  • 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
  • 1 medium tomato
  • 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
  • 2-3 leaves of fresh basil
  • grated cheese
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

As always pizza making on Per L'Amore Di Cibo starts off with the preparation of a shell. 

Start by greasing whatever pan you plan to make your pizza in and place the dough inside. Use your fingertips to flatten and stretch out the dough so it is covering your entire pan. Once you have done this sprinkle a little cheese on top and pop the dough in the oven.

The goal here is to cook the dough slightly so it wont shrink on you later when you add the toppings on. This will also allow you to have a fully cooked dough without overcooking or drying out your toppings. Keep a close eye on the dough while you're are cooking the shell, if it starts to shrink you can take it out and stretch. 

The shell is done when it no longer looks raw, just under cooked. It should be very light in color, that is exactly what you want.

Next up you will need to begin layering the toppings. 

Start with a thin layer of sauce. You can get creative here using regular pizza sauce, marinara, pesto and so on. Cover the entire pizza leaving approximately a half inch sauce-less to form the crust. Next put a layer of tomatoes down once again covering the entire pizza. Put the mozzarella slices down, allowing for some space in between slices (when the cheese melts it will cover the pie entirely). Sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the pie and put a few basil leaves right in the center.

Put the pie in the oven for approximately 8-10 minutes.



6 comments:

Magic of Spice said...

This looks wonderful...love all that cheese :)

TinaRBK said...

I recently tried this type of pizza at a restaurant and it truly is awesome. I usually like meat on my pizza but this is a tasty exception. Your picture is making me hungry-yum!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Yummy this looks delicious! :)

Rachel said...

That pizza looks wonderful, and I love the Heart in the middle.

Unknown said...

OHHHHHH my favorite pizza right there!

adminkamprett said...

your site is very good so it is in the search engine for google, so it's still to write more articles so that people can see them, because the information is so interesting
Agen Dominoqq
Sakong Online
CemeQQ
Agen CemeQQ