Friday, July 29, 2011

Low-Fat Lemon Loaf



Whenever summertime rolls around I find myself craving fresh, summery ingredients and lemons are by far one my favorite summertime ingredients. I love lemons as they are in all of their mouth puckering glory, but I also love them in dessert and the sweet little tang they give off. Lemons make even the heaviest of desserts seem light and guilt free and to me that's a beautiful thing.

This cake is dense and rich but actually very low in calories since I omitted butter and multiple eggs and replaced them with part-skim ricotta. I have found that using ricotta, yogurt or applesauce in baking is a great way to cut down on fat and calories but not skimp on taste. I choose to use ricotta in this recipe because of how well ricotta pairs with lemon and the rich texture ricotta provides.

It's a easy to make, one bowl recipe that is perfect for a light, summer dessert.

Low-Fat Lemon Loaf
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 5 minutes     I     Bake Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • zest of two large lemons
  • juice of two large lemons
  • 2/3 cups ricotta (part skim)
  • ¼ cup milk (2%)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Next put all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and using a hand mixer or stand mixer blend the ingredients until well blended. 

Pour the batter into a well greased loaf pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

You can eat the loaf as is or you can mix a quarter of a cup of confectioners sugar with a teaspoon of lemon juice to make a lemon icing. If the icing is too dry you can add a drop of milk to loosen it up, inversely, if the icing is too wet just add a little bit more of confectioners sugar.




8 comments:

Rita D K Simmons said...

Wow, that looks delicious, will have to try this soon,you've been buzzed!

Tina @flourtrader said...

You sure have made low fat look like a very full fat indulgence here and that certainly gets my vote-yum!

Amber @ FORK IT, Darling said...

I love all things lemon! I may try this recipe out :) I appreciate your creativity in using the ricotta. Looks really good!

Erin said...

I love lemon, this sounds so good! I love that it is low fat too - I can eat 2 pieces!

Sandra said...

Sounds very good and like the use of ricotta.

Five Finicky Eaters said...

yum, looks great and low fat too!

Anonymous said...

What size of pan do you need?

Unknown said...

I used a loaf pan, it fit perfectly. I believe it's 9x5