Monday, August 29, 2011

Chili Lettuce Wraps


I make every attempt to eat healthy and make good choices as far as food. I always feel better when the food I eat veggies, fruits and just healthy in general. That is not to say that I don't indulge now and then (and maybe even a little more than that) because I do. I love my sweets and I will not give them up, nor will I give up pasta or bread. The best way for me to not give up my favorite treats is to eat balanced the rest of the time.

This particular meal is one of my favorite healthy go to dinners. It's a quick dinner to make and usually I have all of the ingredients on hand, I also like to replace sour cream with plain Greek yogurt, it's a really tasty way to cut out extra calories. Lettuce wraps have become somewhat of a trend these days, lots of restaurants have them because they are being offered as a heart healthy option. This recipe is also fun because you can make a dinner party out of it, arranging the lettuce leaves on a platter and allow your guests to fill them up any way they'd like. It's also a great recipe that can be personalized to the way you like it, changing out the protein or even the toppings. Have fun with it, that's what cooking is all about.


Chili Lettuce Wraps
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes     I     Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

  • 2 heads of Romain lettuce
  • 1 lb turkey chopped meat
  • 1 packet chili seasoning
Toppings
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 can black olives, sliced
  • Shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • Plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 Avocado diced 
  • Tomatoes, diced
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained
In a frying pan heat a little bit of oil and cook the chopped meat over medium heat. White the meat is cooking prepare your toppings. Slice the onions and caramelize them until they are soft. Slice your onions and dice the tomatoes. 

When the meat is almost fully cooked add in your seasonings. I like to use McCormick's White Chicken Chili seasoning, but you can also use taco seasoning or any other type you prefer. Follow the directions on the seasoning pack and continue cooking until the meat is fully cooked through.

For the lettuce wraps, pull the leaves off the head one by one and arrange on a plate. Fill with all of your toppings and enjoy!

Variations:

Oriental Lettuce Wraps: Cubed steak with teriyaki sauce, friend chow mein noodles, watercress and broccoli.

Southwest Lettuce Wraps: Cubed chicken with corn, black beans, baked tortilla strips and ranch dressing.

Thai Lettuce Wraps: Tofu with sauteed mushrooms, bean sprouts, caramelized onions and Asian dressing. For a nice kick add some chili paste or peppers to the dressing.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I bet a veggie version of this would be great too! :D