Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Green Bean Casserole with Homemade Cream of Mushroom Sauce


Who doesn't love green bean casserole? Delicious green beans mixed with delicious cream of mushroom sauce and of course topped with crunch onion pieces. It's one of my favorite side dishes and whenever I make it, the entire dish goes, every time. It's just that good. In the past I've always made it by popping open a can of cream of mushroom soup, but one night while watching Food Network with the hubs we watched a chef on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives make their own homemade cream of mushroom sauce. I sat there watching and thinking to myself "why can't I do that?" Well I could and I did and I have been ever since. Don't be intimidated, it's very easy, sure not as easy as popping open a can but the difference in taste it brings is well worth it. Trust me.

Green Bean Casserole with Homemade Cream of Mushroom Sauce
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes     I     Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 pound frozen green beans
  • 1 package white button mushrooms sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • salt & pepper
  • 1.5 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • French Fried Onions or similar brand
Start a roux by melting the butter in a deep saute pan, once the butter has melted whisk in the flour. When the flour and butter are combined whisk in the milk and water. Let the sauce cook down a bit until it begins to thicken and then add in the sliced mushrooms.

Season the sauce with salt and pepper and then cover the pan to set the sauce cook down. The sauce should cook for about 15 minutes until it is thick and creamy and the mushrooms have shrunk in size to about half of what they were. 

Stir the green beans into the sauce and then transfer to a glass baking dish. Top with the crispy onions and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes.

4 comments:

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar said...

looks delicious! I love green bean casserole even with the canned soup so I am sure I would go nuts over it with homemade sauce.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a creative way to make homemade green bean casserole, love this!! If you haven't already, feel free to stop by my blog and check out the $50 Williams-Sonoma gift card giveaway going on right now! xoxo

Kristen said...

This is making me sooo hungry!

Claire @ The Realistic Nutritionist said...

I bet the homemade sauce makes it incredible!! I love green bean casserole!