Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Ultimate Mac n' Cheese


You didn't think I'd leave you hanging and not give the mac and cheese recipe I paired with my chicken fried steak did you?

Let me start by saying who doesn't love macaroni and cheese? For kids it's a sure thing kind of meal that pretty much any kid will eat and for adults this childhood favorite has somehow transformed into an elegant version that can be made with truffle oil, lobster or exotic cheeses. It's a fun, versatile kind of meal that really allows for creativity. Plus it's like an ultimate comfort food.


Basically a win all around. This recipe for homemade mac and cheese is my favorite. I have tested out a bunch of recipes over the years and after combining my favorite tips and tricks from each recipe I have come up with this one to be my ultimate mac and cheese so to speak. The ultimate tip here came from the Pioneer Woman who beats an eggs into the cheese mixture, it really gives the sauce a rich feel and taste. It's a winner and I know you'll love it too.

Macaroni & Cheese
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes     I     Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1lb of your favorite pasta cooked (make sure it's very al dente)
  • 1 pound cheese grated (any kind works, I used white cheddar)
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 4 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/3 seasoned breadcrumbs
Create a roux by melting the butter into a large saucepan and whisking the flour into the mixture. When the roux has formed whisk the egg into the mixture whisking continually so you don't cook the egg and continue mixing until you have a thick sauce.

Slowly start adding the cheese to the sauce stirring constantly until you have added all the cheese and it has melted completely. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

In an oven safe casserole dish pour the 3/4 of the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat the pasta thoroughly. Pour the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake in the oven for ten minutes or until the top becomes slightly golden.

No comments: