Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter


I honestly don't know why I never thought to do this before. Once again Pinterest has opened up my eyes to yet another amazing and yet so simple recipe. Homemade peanut butter, who would have thought? I have bought peanut butter in Whole Foods before where you use that awesomely fun machine that grind up the peanuts right there to give you ultra fresh peanut butter, but I have never considered making my own.

Once I saw this recipe online I knew I had to make it right then and there. It was perfect too, since I had a jar of honey roasted peanut sitting on my counter just taunting me to do something with them. Most recipes I found online called for the addition of some sort of oil but I decided to give it a whirl without the oil to see what would happen, it turns out I didn't need it at all.


The recipe is simply peanuts - any kind you desire. Just take them and put them in your food processor (I used my mini chopper) and pulse the peanuts for anywhere between 5-10 minutes. First the peanuts will break down until they become almost powder-like. Once this happens keep pulsing them until they start to clump together. Keep going until they start to look like a blob in the food processor and then pulse them just a little bit more until they cross that barrier from peanut goo to smooth, creamy peanut butter.

And that's it. Such a simple concept and yet so genius. I can't wait to make cashew butter or make even pistachio butter, the possibilities are endless!

The peanut butter should be stored in the fridge and can be kept up to two months.

3 comments:

Kiri W. said...

Wow, that sounds so very simple :) Great idea!

Andrew Fast said...

How much does it yield? Trying to figure out if its cheaper than buying peanut butter...

Unknown said...

@Andrew...I used approximately 1 cup of peanuts and the recipe yielded a little more than a cup in the end.