Friday, February 24, 2012

Shine On! A Bloggers Journey to Change the World

I was first introduced to Ashley's blog and her good deeds back in August when I won a necklace from her just by chance, which caused me to look into her blog (The Shine Project) and more of what she was trying to do. I don't actually know Ashley personally but from reading her blog and communicating with her via email she strikes me as a truly happy person who wants to make a positive difference in the world. And these days with all the heartache and troubles surrounding us, who wouldn't want to make a difference? So when Ashley reached out to fellow bloggers offering an opportunity to spread some love and happiness I jumped at the chance, not even knowing what I was getting myself involved in.

Before I get ahead of myself let me give you a little insight into what Ashley is trying to do. In Ashley's words herself The Shine Project was created to "Inspire you to live the highest quality of life obtainable, and to motivate you to join our efforts in making this world a better place."


There is also a scholarship created by The Shine Project to help improve the lives of at-risk teens. The Shine Projects works with inner city kids and raises money to help send these very kids to college. There are many ways to get involved with The Shine Project, whether it be to buy one of her cute t-shirts, awesome necklaces or leading a Shine project in your community. There's a million ways to get involved to try to make the world a better place with this her newest website Ashley just made there be 1,000,001 ways to make a difference.

Just this week she emailed me and 99 other bloggers the link to her website Spread the Shine. The concept for this new project is pretty simple, Ashley is wants us to encourage others to do good by leading by example. Her idea sort of reminds me of the Liberty Mutual Commercial where there is a domino effect of people doing one simple kind act to help a stranger. (You can see those commercials here.) The truth behind these commercials and what Ashley is trying to accomplish is simple, just a single act, no matter how small can change someone's day, week, month or maybe even do more than that.

Ashley has designed a card with an ID number on it that is intended to be passed along with every kind act that is performed. The theory is that like that Where's George website to track your dollar bill you can see the ripple effect of the good deed that you started.

I'm including a photo of the card that hopefully you will stumble upon yourself one day and an excerpt from Ashley describing her project in her own words. I hope you all find it in your hearts to take part of this adventure and always strive to spread a little kindness each and every day any way you can.


From Ashley LeMieux:


Pass It Forward was designed to get people to do little things, everyday, that makes an impact on the community around them. Pass it Forward is designed around a card (read card that I've attached now so you understand). Each card is given a unique ID number. Lets say we're at McDonalds, and I decide to pay for the person behind me in the drive through. I'd give the cashier the card, and tell them to pass it along to the next car when the give them the food that has been paid for. I then go home and log into the website that was on the card, and find my unique ID number. I log into it, and add my information... My first name, city, and a description of what I did....
Let's say the person behind me was you, you would pass it forward to someone else, and then would go home and do the same thing. From the very beginning, you will be able to track where your card goes, and how many people you affect just by doing one simple act of kindness.

No comments: