Sunday, July 3, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

When I was in middle school I participated in a dance group at my church for which we rehearsed every Saturday morning. My mom would always bake muffins for me to bring with to share with the rest of the girls. There was nothing better those mornings than sinking our teeth into a warm muffin before stretching and getting ready to rehearse. It was a moment of quiet, calm before rehearsal as many of us were barely awake for the 9am start time.

All these years later my mom's muffins are still my favorite and I make them from time to time whenever I have a craving for them. Best of all they're made with yogurt instead of butter so they are pretty healthy. I have made both blueberry and chocolate chip variations and included in the recipe below.

Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 1 dozen muffins   
Prep Time: 20 minutes     I     Cook Time: 20-25 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2.5 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) or 1 cup of chocolate chips
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, sugar, oil, yogurt and vanilla together until well blended and then combine the wet and dry ingredients being careful not to overmix.

Stir the blueberries in slowly and then using an ice cream scoop spoon the batter into greased and lined muffin tins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.


1 comment:

Mumsfilibaba said...

It is never wrong with blueberry muffins. They look great.