Friday, July 8, 2011

Fried Tacos

I'm a big fan of tacos so I don't make the claim that this is the best taco you'll ever eat lightly. I found this recipe in a magazine my grandma subscribes to, thought it sounded interesting and tried it out and then something interesting happened....I was never able to look at tacos the same way ever again.

This recipe is simple but takes some time on the assembly and cooking portions of it. It is definitely worth the effort because the outcome is just delicious. In fact, whenever I tell my husband I am making tacos for dinner he always responds with "the good ones?" So I know he'll be thrilled to find out I am making them tonight.



Since there's a few steps with this recipe I posted step by steps photos along with the actual recipe so you can see just how simple this dish really is.

Fried Tacos
Yield: 1 dozen tacos
Prep Time: 30 minutes     I     Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb chopped meat, any kind you prefer (I usually use turkey or chicken)
  • 12 tortillas
  • Oil for cooking
Yes that's it for ingredients, no seasoning, no fancy techniques just tortillas and meat and you've got yourself something special. 

I start out by filling a deep pan with oil to cook the tortillas in, you want to have about between a 1/4-1/2 inch of oil so they will be mostly covered and so you wont run out mid way and have to heat more oil. Heat the oil on medium heat and get started on the tortillas.

There's two ways to do this; if you plan to cook the tortillas as you go or at least immediately then I usually just lay them out across my counters as I finish them. This usually results in a kitchen full of uncooked tacos but hey- it still gets the job done. If you plan to prep them and cook them later you can stack them by putting a piece of wax paper in between each taco.

Since the recipe makes a dozen tacos I usually use a knife to portion 12 sections of meat so I can just plop each piece on top of the meat and know they will all be evenly portioned. 
Place a portion of chopped meat on top of a tortilla and use a butter knife or the back of a spoon to spread the meat across the entire surface of the tortilla. You want the meat spread evenly across the tortilla. When you've done this put aside and repeat 11 more times.


To cook the tortilla place it in the heated oil with the meat facing up. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the meat is about halfway browned.


Then using a spatula fold the taco in half and cook on each side for approximately 2 minutes. You can peek inside to check if it's fully cooked too.

When it's done tip the taco sideways to drain any excess oil and then place on top of a paper towel to absorb oil.
I like to serve the tacos with cheese, guacamole, sour cream, rice, lettuce, tomato and onions. Just open them, load them up and enjoy!


No comments: