Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sweet Potato Cake



Ever buy something and then as time goes by you forget to use it, or just don't want to do the same old thing again? I bought sweet potatoes about a week ago, they're one of my favorite veggies, my husband - not so much. He prefers the run of the mill Idaho, Yukon and Red New potatoes. So after hemming and hawing about what to make with the sweet potatoes I decided I wanted to make a dessert, but I couldn't find the kind of recipe I was looking for. I wanted to make a cake or a bread and nothing was quite what I wanted.  The solution? I made one up, worked on the fly and if I do say so myself, it came out quite delicious.

The recipe was simple and if you happen to have boiled sweet potatoes on hand, can be made in less than 10 minutes.


Sweet Potato Cake
Yield: 6 Servings
Inactive Prep Time: 45 minutes     I     Active Prep Time: 10 minutes     I     Bake Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups mashed sweet potato (about 5-6 medium potatoes)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
Start off by boiling water and placing the potatoes inside, boil them until they are very soft and then let them cool completely. Peel the skin and mash the potatoes using a spatula, masher, fork or whatever else you have on hand.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl add all of the ingredients and mix until well blended. Pour the batter into a baking pan, I used a bundt cake pan for this recipe. Put the cake into the oven and cook approximately 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

The cake tasted delicious on its own, but I made a light icing to go on top of it, using 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and about a teaspoon of milk. You'll notice in the photos that the icing is not white, that's because I was out of milk and opted to use chocolate almond milk instead. It tasted just as good and added a light chocolate flavor to it!




No comments: