Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Irish Soda....Cake


It's that time of the year! Talk of whiskey, Bailey's, corned beef, cabbage, Shamrock Shakes and of course Irish Soda Bread.

I have to admit I don't really like Irish Soda Bread, I've never been a fan. But this bread is for lovers and haters of traditional Irish Soda Bread! The recipe is my mom's and she has been making it for as long as I can remember. It's a sweeter recipe than most and almost comes out like a bread-y cake. The best part is you can top it off with a little icing by combining confectioners sugar and milk and drizzling a little on top. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

Irish Soda Bread Cake
Yield: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 20 minutes     I     Bake Time: 30-35 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 cup butter (cold and diced into small pieces)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all of the dry ingredients and the raisins mixing until fully incorporated, then stir in the butter.

In a separate bowl beat the egg slightly and then pour in the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. 

Turn the dough mixture onto a floured surface and knead slightly until the dough becomes smooth. Be careful not to over knead the dough so you don't get a hard dough.


Divide the dough into two equal halves and place into two greased round baking dishes. Press down on the dough softly and cut a cross into the top of the loaves.

Bake the breads until golden brown. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank your mom for me! I've never been a huge fan of Irish soda bread either, but this look fantastic.

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

Looks great. I also like a sweeter soda bread so I'm sure I'd like this.

Lacy @ NYCityEats said...

Mmm this sounds great! I think I'd definitely like a sweeter version a bit more than the original. Great recipe!