Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pan Seared Scallops


Scallops are awesome. I just discovered this a few days ago. Truth is, I was always intimidated by scallops, they don't look very appealing raw and the first time I tried them I couldn't get past the texture. But then I learned this was simply because they weren't prepared right because when they are prepared right they are just oh so good. Heavenly even. Or as my husband described "butter", his friends described them as "boss". I believe these are both compliments so I'll take them both.

My advice with scallops, just go for it and try them. Ignore the look, the milky water at the bottom of the packaging, the texture and everything else that may turn you off. Buy a pound of sea scallops (those are the big ones!) and go try something new. I am amazed at how simple of a preparation for these can result in something with such huge flavor.

Pan Seared Scallops
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes     I     Cook Time: 5 minutes

Start heating a non stick pan allowing it to get very hot.

Take your scallops and pat them dry on both sides with a paper towel and salt them generously. I prefer to use a salt grinder so you get a nice coarse salt coating, but any salt with do.

Once your pan is very hot pour a little olive oil into and place the scallops inside. Don't overcrowd the pan or the pan will begin to lose heat and the scallops will not cook evenly.


Cook the scallops for two and a half minutes and then turn over. They should have a nice crust on the side that was face down in the pan. Cook the scallops another two and a half minutes on the other side and then immediately remove them from the heat. They will continue to cook a little more while they are sitting. The scallops should slightly spring back at the touch and be slightly translucent in the center when they are finished.
 





No comments: